Must Read Before Investing

* If you get the conviction to invest Rs.1 lakh in a stock, then only invest in that stock, else forget that stock. Do not invest just for the sake of investing or to try your luck.

* Before buying any stock, write down the reasons why you are buying that stock and before selling review those points that you have noted down, then take a decision to sell.

* The trick of successful investors is to sell when they want to, not when they have to...

* One quick test is to imagine that you had to give a presentation on a stock that you want to buy to a room full of savvy industry veterans and then take their questions. If you could not do it, may be the purchase is not such a great idea.

Saturday, March 31, 2012

Companies checklist before you buy


1) This is my big number 1! Will the company be around in 20 years? (Crox maybe, JNJ hell yes)

2) Will (will, not should) earnings and sales and the dividend grow over 5 years?

3) Have sales historically increased annually, with maybe a few one year hickups?

4) Has the dividend been increased annually 10+ years?

5) Does the company have a moat or durable competitive advantage?

6) Is the company rated A or better in Value Line? (I used to use B++ or better, but upped it to A or better)


  • Am I giving more weight to recent data and events?
  • Did I think a fact was obvious beforehand?
  • Have I looked at the situation from different scenarios? (Company loses money, no growth, growth etc)
  • Am I influenced by the way the data is presented preventing me to perform the required work?
  • Am I overconfident in the analysis because I work in the industry or otherwise?
  • Have I reviewed the negative factors?
  • Am I over-weighing the negative factors creating too much loss aversion?
  • Am I buying just to average down?
  • Am I slow in changing my opinion?
  • Am I ignoring potential risks because of the reward?
  • Am I willing to purchase because I spent the time researching? Obligated to buy?
  • Is there a bias because everyone else is recommending to buy?
  • Am I refusing to sell for any reason? Attached?
  • Is the information I am using a consensus that can be false?
  • Do I have an exit plan




While Studying about a company

  • See how the company can make its profits and see if it can make the same profits in future too.
  • Compare the Sales growth in the past 5 or 10 years and their annual Growth rate.
  • Compare the Net Profit growth in the past 5 or 10 years and their annual Growth rate.
  • Compare the EPS growth in the past 5 or 10 years. and its annual Growth rate.
  • How the Debt is reduced in the 5 years

Chandrakanth Sampath
1. One is least capital expenditures.
2. Two is since there is least capital expenditure,  there are no borrowings.
     That means there are no future costs that are not provided for.
3. Three is the return on capital employed should not be less than 25%.
4. Then it adds to the fourth that these companies give a big chunk of their earnings as a dividend.


That's a start I guess. The number 1 above is the key point.
---------------------------------------------------------------


1) Where is the company at in its growth cycle? I like to pick young companies with a lot of growth ahead, under 1 billion market cap. (just my personal investment thesis)

2) What is the economic outlook for the companies industry? I like to try to find industries with a bright future instead of ones muddied or with crumbling foundations.

3) PE under 15, little to no debt, no more than 2x book (preferably 1x book or less), ROE greater than PE, greater than industry average ROE. Crude I know, but it weeds out a lot of junk.

4) Who are the founders/BOD, what other companies have they been involved in, what are their credentials/biographies? I only invest in experts with a proven record of success.

5) Why is this company undervalued? Is this reason likely to get worse before it gets better? Does this reason undermine my valuation, or does it gravely affect the future of the company? If so, then I stay away.

6) If the share price went down by 50% the day after I bought, would I immediately worry about having made a mistake, or would I anxiously await the next paycheck to gobble up more shares? This is more key than anything else. Your sub-concious knows more than you think you do, after reading all the financials, etc.

That's my general checklist.

3 comments:

  1. I didn’t have any knowledge about investing. Now I am confident enough to understand the markets and to grow my capital.
    Thanks
    Regards
    equity tips

    ReplyDelete
  2. what idea you gave us before we buy any stock superb work i found great work this .....

    Stock tips

    ReplyDelete